USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Stag Bar Revisited

Back in July 2007, I wrote about the stag bar at the Club 63. I described the atmosphere as a cross between Cheers, from the TV series of the same name, and Monks, the diner in Seinfeld. Alcohol was served -- it was a bar, after all -- but folks gathered there mostly just to relax and unwind with a few friends.

I understand that the stag bar was once located inside the main club. By the time I arrived in 1973, it was located in a relatively small, one-story building across the parking lot from the main entrance. I've looked at the area in Google Earth, but I can't tell if it's still there today.

I may be the world's worst illustrator, but this is more or less how I remember the layout of the place. The scale isn't exactly right, but I think it's fairly close.

So if Jim Snowden, John Cranford, Wayne Morris, Larry Driscoll, Larry Sherman, Pop, Royal Mason, Don Ligon, John the Civilian, or any of the other folks who dropped by the stag bar happen to read this, feel free to correct me. Maybe we can wager a quarter on a game of shuffleboard sometime.

No comments: