USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Friday, June 6, 2008

Floating (Away) Restaurant

Sarj Bloom sent in some pictures of a floating restaurant that was located on the river near USTDC. These shots were taken during Typhoon Gloria in 1963. The restaurant was no longer there when I arrived in 1973.

Here are Sarj's comments:

I'm sorry about the quality of these pictures. They apparently came from 35mm film and I'm not even sure that anyone from our photo lab took them, though the lab was flooded during the typhoon and I may have made these prints in haste.

They show the restaurant floating away with the help of Typhoon Gloria. The sign was at least 15 or 20 feet high. I believe the last photo, showing the gate, was the entrance to TDC.

The restaurant was only there for maybe six to nine months, no longer than that. I left a month after the typhoon but I had a feeling that they would never rebuild.


























No comments: