USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Useful Maps

These are maps that were included in the Taiwan Report, a glossy booklet that was mailed to individuals pending assignment to Taiwan. This edition was published during FY 1973 and it was the source for most of the recent compound photos I've been posting.

As always, you can click on any image to see a larger version.

Many thanks to Les, who held on to a copy of the booklet and who took the time to scan some of its pages for us.



5 comments:

Sarj Bloom said...

Wow! the maps are great. The info and photos are just getting better and better. Thanks to all that are sending in stuff.

Anonymous said...

Don,

Ditto to Sarj comments! Where did you get these maps?!?! This helps put TAS location (#29) in clear perspective. Great job!

Regards

John Hurst

Don said...

Yeah, aren't these great? All three of them came from that Taiwan Report booklet that I've been talking about. I decided to post all three maps at the same time to really lay out where everything was.

I had a stack of the booklets in my office at TDC for sponsors to send out to new arrivals and it never occurred to me to keep a copy. But Les Duffin did, and he's been kind enough to scan and forward several pages to me, the guys at Linkou and to the TAS site. I've already posted several of them and I'll be posting more for at least the next week. Really great stuff!

I noticed that there are some things missing from the compound maps though. Where in the West Compound was PMO? Also, they omitted USTDC from the East Compound map. Maybe they didn't want the Chicoms to know where we were located. ;-)

No,I'm pretty sure they knew very well where to find us!

Anonymous said...

If memory serves me right PMO was located within building 300.

Building 300 is where I began my Mandarin lessons in 1965.

Great maps.

Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Yep, PMO was in Bldg 300. The desk sergeant was across from the service station.