USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Final Days

Back in November, I wrote some articles about the events leading up to the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Taiwan. Much of my information for that series came from a declassified document that I received through a Freedom of Information Act request to PACOM.

In one of those pieces, I asked for comments from anyone who was in Taiwan during the withdrawal. I received one or two comments, but none from military folks who were there during the final weeks. I recently received a second-hand account of how, for some American families, the withdrawal was complete chaos. I was told that many of them took only what would fit into suitcases and they left their household goods behind, locking the doors to their homes and leaving. I'm wondering what the reaction was from Taiwanese neighbors, friends and fellow-workers during what must have been a difficult period for all concerned.

It's been several months since I asked for comments so I'd like to throw another request out there. If you were in Taiwan during 1979 when all this was happening, and you'd be willing to share your experiences with the rest of us, please post your comments or email me directly.

No comments: