USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cafeteria

These photographs are of the Navy Exchange Cafeteria, which was located in the HSA West Compound. I think someone told me that it moved over to the East Compound after I left in 1974.

To be honest, I don't really remember this facility, which probably means that I didn't spend much time there. Come to think of it, I don't believe I spent much time in the West Compound, except for the usual license and identification requirements. I do remember the bowling alley in that area, but I think I only bowled there a couple of times during my 15 months at TDC.

I recall that there were a few slot machines in a small room next to the cafeteria. The reason that stands out is because the Army and the Air Force had removed slot machines from their enlisted clubs at that time because of some problems they had with misappropriation of profits, mostly at bases in Vietnam. I didn't realize until I arrived in Taipei that the Navy still allowed the machines in their clubs.

When the Navy took over the Club 63 from MAAG during my TDC assignment, they renamed it the China Seas Club and did some remodeling, including the construction of a game room filled with slot machines. I wrote about these "one-armed bandits" back in September.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ate lunch there several times weekly. Beer for .15 and sandwiches less than $1. It's called inflation!

Nice photos.

Anonymous said...

I remember the the breakfast was pretty good. Often it was a place to meet others for a day of adventure.
Yes, this was closed in 1975 amd moved to the other compound.
I remember bowling and playing the slots often.
BIll