USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Monday, August 18, 2008

Theater and Library

The base theater and library were located to the east of the parking lot in the HSA East Compound.

I remember the library as being somewhat small, but with a decent selection of books. I know that I checked out Formosa Betrayed from there. Someone had scrawled on the inside of the front cover, "Is Lie!" I don't know if it was all true or not, but I think that much of it probably was.

For some reason, I don't remember going to see movies in the compound. But if it was like other military theaters of the period, admission was cheap and the movies were fairly current. The National Anthem would have preceded each feature -- while everyone stood at attention, of course --and smoking would have been permitted.

If anyone disagrees with any of these fading memories, feel free to straighten me out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I attended movies in this theater at least twice weekly (65-67). I also had a friend who worked at the library (YN3 Jones) so I spent time in the library as well (perhaps once weekly). The movies were fairly current (a lot of "beach blankets" were popular at the time. Other than that you've got it right. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Every time you went shopping at the Navy Exchange or Commissary, you saw the theater marquee and the library. I think back to “the day” and wonder why I went to the movies in town rather than one of the military movie houses, the East Compound or Taipei Air Station. I know Shu Linkou also had a theater. I’m guessing the local theaters were able to show new films before the military. Thinking back, I recall having to line up to purchase tickets to the next showing of a film in the Hsi Men Ding movie houses. You could not walk in during a film and sit around for the next showing. You entered the theater at the start of the film or a short time later and exited at the end of the show. The first film I saw downtown was The Sound of Music. Also, I remember a couple of times, all military and civilian personnel at Taipei Air Station had to attend a presentation at the East Compound Theater. Wonder what those meetings were all about. Happy days and times in Taiwan they were.

Anonymous said...

You must have been stationed there in 65, because I remember going to the "LUX" theater downtown to see "The Sound of Music" and "My Fair Lady" as well. We felt pretty good attending these as we were among the only foreigners in attendance who spoke fluent English. I guess the big downtown theaters did get the big movies before the military houses for sure.