USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1963 Taiwan Videos

John Quinn alerted me to three very nice videos of Taiwan in 1963. They appear to have been taken by one or more Air Force guys, and the uniforms certainly are from that period. I remember the "TI" style fatigue caps that some of the guys were wearing, and which I also wore at that time at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa. Also one of the guys is wearing his Air Force raincoat over civilian clothes, which was authorized and commonly done at the time.

But the real value of these videos is the images of the people of Taiwan. There are shots of men, women, kids, farmers, Taiwan soldiers (officer and enlisted), trucks, taxis, pedicabs, fields, rice paddies, women washing clothes in a river and lots of other interesting things. Did I mention kids?

These are a great historical record of the period and I know you'll all enjoy them as much as I have. You can find the videos here, here and here. If you recognize the locations, please let me know.

2 comments:

titojohn said...

I received this from the guy that made the videos:
"Hello John, Glad you enjoyed the videos. I was stationed at Shu Lin Kou Air Station. The videos taken of the village was Linkou Village. The hikes were taken from LinKou to the Taiwan Strait. I am not sure exactly what spot. The downtown shots were in Taipei.
Larry"

John Quinn

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories!! When I see pictures of Taipei today I was having a hard time remembering what it was like when we were there in the late '60s and early 1970s.

Even the old grey Navy vans were the same as the pictures show.

Keep this sort of thing coming.

Jim Sartor