USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Friday, May 6, 2011

More Memories

A few days ago I received a very nice note from Allen Rawden, who was at TDC during 1976-1978. He wrote:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Fell into your USTDC blog and have spent the better part of the day there.  I was stationed at USTDC/SPINTCOMM from June of 76 to September of 78. During 20 years in the Navy, my best tour. Not even a contest.

I first lived in the Hostel near the Chung Shan Bei-Lu gate. Then moved to Tien-Mou for a brief time and finally to an apartment in the night club area south of the east compound. ;And no, I'm not going to try to spell the name of that area...

I too did not take many photos, none of TDC itself. I guess, being a CT, we were no in the habit of taking photos of work. In fact I have none of any duty station for my 20 years. Back to Taiwan....

I still have the brass bell given at my going away ceremony, my nametag, the command plague (which is in VERY bad condition)and my Chinese-American Friendship medal (And yes, Navy were authorized to "retain and wear" this ribbon as long as your request was submitted and approved by CINCPACFLT....and yes, I still have the paper work on that.

During the early 90's I was stationed at Pensacola. Also there was my Tien Mou room mate who had worked in the maintenance shop. We were having a personal inspection and the Captain had stopped at John (CTM1 Hodgdin), and stared for quite awhile at the thing. He didn't say anything, but then he got to me about 10 people further down the line. That's when he said, "OKAY, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING??" And yes, that afternoon I was getting a copy of my service record entry for the Command Master Chief.

Anyway, again thanks for the great blog and the rush of nothing but good memories.

Then CTOSN/3 Allen Dean Rawdon
Allen also included this scan of his typhoon card from back in the day.  The reverse side was written in Chinese and we were required to carry them in case we ever had to drive during typhoons.  I only recall driving one time in Taipei and that's when I had to drive a TDC van up to the radio station and back during a typhoon.  What with the pouring rain, high winds, Taipei traffic, no experience driving on the streets of Taipei and driving a panel van, I can tell you it was very interesting!

2 comments:

Roberta said...

This is so cool...I just found your blog while googling how to spell Tien Mou ;) We lived in Taiwan from 1969-1972 (almost 3 years) while my Dad was stationed in the Army there. He specialized in Tele-Communications and I believe his unit was part of "Stratcom"...that was 40 years ago. Anyhow...I was just blogging about our life there and my Dad being a Pro-Bowler for the Army. Here's my post if you'd like to take a peek. I've just added your blog to my google reader so that I can keep in touch. Fondly, Roberta

http://con-tain-it.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/05/there-is-a-shrine-in-my-closet.html

Don said...

Hi Roberta, and thanks a bunch for dropping by. I hope you found some things of interest to you.

I have several more photos in the queue that I haven't had time to post recently but I hope to get to them shortly. If you have any old photos, especially things of general interest from your days in Taipei, such as most anything in the HSA compound, your housing area, your bowling days, etc., I'd be happy to look them over for possible posting here as well. You can reach me at USTDC[at]yahoo.com.

Best Regards,

Don