USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy (Western) New Year to All!

I just want to wish everyone a very happy and successful new year.  I am especially thankful for all the friends I've met by way of this blog during the past two and a half years (more than thirty-six thousand hits so far!).

Many thanks to all of you for your interest in the US Taiwan Defense Command, the people who worked there, as well as the surrounding military compound, none of which remain there today.  I'm pleased to have been able to document some of that history -- with lots of help from others -- and I'm looking forward to even more stories and photographs during the upcoming year.  If you've been meaning to join the conversation but just haven't gotten around to it, why not drop me a note?  My email address is at the top right corner of this page.

Warmest regards to all,

Don Wiggins
Illinois
USTDC, 1973-1974

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have found this blog.....I was a member of the Command Center Staff during the period from March 1978 till USTDC closed it's doors and the U.S. flag came down for the last time. The flag was lowered by SSG Gemmecke (USMC) He and I was on the last plane leaving the island. I throughly enjoyed working there and it was my second joint service assignment, first one in Alaska. I have often looked for the compounds on Google Earth and now than I have the coordinates it will be much easier....I remember so much about the assignment....daily runs from the TDC building up and around the Grand Hotel was one of my favorites...Years later I found what was a medic that I flew into Taiwan with and flew out with...we became very good friends...she went to the navy officer candidate school and was a commander when I saw her last....Very cherished memories of that assignment and I, like many, would have extended till they wouldn't let me no more

Raymond Richardson
SFC, U.S. Army Retired