USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Monday, June 22, 2009

Linkou Hotel

I received this photo from Linda Greth a few weeks ago. Linda and her husband, SFC Thomas Greth, were at USTDC from 1965 until 1969. Unfortunately, the photo arrived around the time that we were getting ready to go spoil our grandkids in Pennsylvania and I'm afraid that I just forgot about it -- not that I'm getting old or anything.

I have to say that this does not look at all familiar to me and I don't remember a Linkou Hotel during my time in 1973-1974. If you look closely (click on the photo to expand it), you'll see that the printing on the blades of the windmill say "Linkou Hotel" and the sign on the building says "Shu Lin Kou NCO Club."

Was this the original Linkou Club in downtown Taipei? Does anyone know where it was located in relation to the compounds? Any description of the place or any old memories that you'd like to share would be much appreciated.


3 comments:

Zhuxiu said...

Don,
This does not look like the Linkou Club that I knew in 1963-64. Perhaps it is of the back exit? The club was located on ChungShan North road across from HQ Support Activity and just next to the compound where the movie theater was. There was a covered walk-way that led to the club entrance. The Filipino band that played there then had a drummer named Nestor who let me sit in a few times.

Joe Miller, then CT3
Linkou Air Station, 1963-64

titojohn said...

Don,
This looks like the rear entrance to the club. The front of the club faced in the direction of the Navy Exchange. The trees on the left hand side of the picture I believe are trees that lined Chung Shan N. Rd.

The Roma Hotel would eventually be a ways to the left of where you see that electric pole with transformer hanging off of it, and further down on Chung Shan N. Rd.

Those large light poles you see in the center of the picture appear to be in the vicinity of the HSA west compound.

Sorry for the rambling, hopefully my recollection is not too far off. If anybody has a better recollection, please chime in.

John Quinn

Sarj Bloom said...

The only thing that looked familiar to me was the waffle type concrete wall to the far right. I think I remember such a wall at the front entrance????
I only went there a couple of times and spent all my clubbing time at the Navy Club down the street a few blocks and on the other side of the street. the Navy Club didn't have a front entrance it was the rear of some other building.
I don't know how I missed the back of the club?