USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Monday, January 14, 2008

Vice Admiral Gentner

I came across this photo at the Naval Historical Center website. You can see a larger version by clicking on the photo. In the center is Admiral Thomas H. Moorer, who was the Chief of Naval Operations (Designate). To his left is Vice Admiral William E. Gentner, Jr., who was Commander of the U.S. Taiwan Defense Command and to Admiral Moorer's right is Admiral Feng Chi-chung, Chinese Navy Commander-In-Chief. The photo was taken on 7 July 1967.

I previously posted what I believe to be a fairly accurate listing of Air Force generals who served at USTDC Chiefs of Staff, but I've never been able to locate information about Navy admirals who served as USTDC Commanders. If anyone knows where I can find such a listing, please let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe the three star Vice Admiral Commander USTDC was always the highest ranking officer on Taiwan throughout the years. Gentner was on duty at TDC all throughtout the time I served at HSA from Jan 1965 - Jan 1967. He had a house on Grass Mountain and as a courtesy invited some of us Navy enlisted for tea to thank us for serving as the US Military Dragon Team during the Chinese New Year celebrations. Admiral Moorer gave a pep talk to us at the East Compound Theater sometime in Mid to late 1966. The HSA ranking officer was Navy Captain Hollinshead during this time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the picture. In 1968, admiral Thomas Moorer was honored with a black marble plaque by admiral Feng Chi-Chung. I would like to know how to get some pictures of that ceremony that would show that plaque.