USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Club 63 Lighter

Bill Kling spotted this item over on eBay. I don't know if anyone here would be interested in it, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. It looks like another one of the going-away gifts that the Club 63 used to hand out. This one was supposedly from the 1950s.

All I know is that the building looks quite different from what I remember from the 1970s, so it was probably either expanded or possibly moved from somewhere else. Anybody know?

Anyway, here's a link to the item if you're interested.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is the same building as today but that the image is very 'stylised' and it was probably before the pool was built.

Club 63 really is almost exactly the same inside today, excluding decor, as it was in the '70s. The only extension to the building has been around the swimming pool where extra sport facilities have been built by the ACC. Most current club members have no idea of the history of the building or any notion of Club 63.

Does anyone have any pictures of the old American Club? It was in a large Japanese house near the East Compound.

Don said...

You're probably right about it being a stylized image of the building as it appeared in the 1950s.

When I've mentioned the stag bar, or casual lounge, of the Club 63 in the early 1970s, it was located across the main parking lot from the main club, a fairly small, one-story structure. I doubt if that building is still there.

I don't have any photos of the old American Club, but will happily post them here if anyone would like to email me a copy.

I do remember looking down on the tennis courts of the old club from the rear window of the hostel -- red clay, I believe -- but that's about it.

Anonymous said...

I saw that this lighter sold for $26.00 I wonder if a Taiwan veteran won the bid?