USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MAAG Uniform Patch

A couple of days ago I posted some MAAG images and asked whether anyone had ever seen the MAAG patch sewn to a military uniform as it appeared in one of the photographs.

I just received a note from Bruce Rayle, the son of Lieutenant Colonel Roy Rayle, US Army. LTC Rayle was assigned to MAAG Taiwan from April 1957 until April 1959. He is second from the left in this photograph. You can read a fascinating biography of this man at this website.

Bruce estimates that the photo was taken in December 1958 or January 1959. You can clearly see the MAAG patch on the sleeve of the officer to the right of the photo.

I assume that the blouse shown in my earlier post was an Army or Air Force summer blouse of some kind. I enlisted in 1962 and I don't recall anything quite like it during my career.

Bruce also sent along this photo of his MAAG dependent ID card.

Besides Chinese ID, what other cards did we military types have to carry when we were there? I remember Chinese ID, Chinese drivers license and Navy Exchange ration card, but were there others? Was there a separate card for the class 6 (booze) store?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Taiwan in 64-65,and I have such a patch from my father ,as he recently passed on 19 July 2008.He was stationed in Taiwan and was a Army J.A.G Lt. Col.( S.J.A. ) ? My fathers' name
is Col. Robert K. Weaver.I have many photos and info as well as questions.I think the photo is later than described

Anonymous said...

James H. Weaver said...
I was in Taiwan in 64-65,and I have such a patch from my father ,as he recently passed on 19 July 2008.He was stationed in Taiwan and was a Army J.A.G Lt. Col.( S.J.A. ) ? My fathers' name
is Col. Robert K. Weaver.I have many photos and info as well as questions.I think the photo is later than described

January 17, 2009 7:09 AM