USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Thursday, January 14, 2010

1958 Quemoy Crisis -- An Oral History

On August 23, 1958, the People's Republic of China unleashed a bombardment against Kinmen (Quemoy) which began the artillery battle that continued until January 7th of the following year. During that time, more than 474,000 artillery shells rained down on Kinmen and its outlying islands. With the assistance of US troops, the ROC armed forces managed to withstand those attacks.

I recently received several copies of the book "The 1958 Quemoy Crisis," published during 2009 by the Ministry of National Defense, Republic of China. The book contains 391 pages of first-hand accounts of some of the personnel (16 ROC and 12 US) who participated in the defense of Quemoy. The book includes numerous photographs of people, places and mementos from that period.

These books retail for NT$400, or about $13.00 each, plus shipping, but I'll be happy to send out copies (US addresses only) for just US $7.00, cash or check, to help cover my costs.  My supply is limited so I can provide just one copy per request and requests will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis.  My goal is simply to place these historical records into as many hands as possible.

If you would like a copy, just send an email to: USTDC[at]yahoo.com.  Include your name and mailing address.  I'll respond with the address for your payment and I'll mail your book within one or two business days.  Allow about ten business days for it to arrive.

No comments: