USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Friday, June 26, 2009

Security Group

I received a note from Collin Warren, who was at TDC during 1962-1963:

I lived in an apartment on the 3rd floor in a couple block area where I think most single guys lived. I walked to work and I seem to remember going in the back door of the building.

Security Group spaces were on the first floor at end of hall [to the left at the main entrance]. Our door was a walk-in bank vault door with a key pad and only a few people were allowed in these spaces.

At the other end of hall was the office of NSA Pacific. I think I was the Assistant Comm Chief and worked 7-3 Monday through Friday. Every day about 11:30 I would go to lunch at the Army Club by calling the motor pool for a truck and a driver.

I was there from January 1962 to May 1963 and was chosen to be USTDC enlisted man of the month for January, 1963. I am enclosing a photo of VADM Melson giving me a letter of commendation. The photo and story were in the Taipei newspaper. [Click on image to enlarge]

I remember spending a couple of days at the Peitou hot springs. I was only 20 years old in those days, but I certainly enjoyed my stay there.

4 comments:

Sarj Bloom said...

Well Collin, it seems that you were there at the same time I was there. I was in the Photo Lab from Sept 61 thru Sept. 63.
I lived not to far from TDC and always entered through the back to the Lab.
I lived in an area that had a lot of military singles as well as some Chinese families. They buildings were similar to row houses, all two stories and they rows ended at the hill that Canal Rd. was on.
I'm sure that me or one of my buddies took your ID picture and probably the Man of the Month photo too.
Sarj

Zhuxiu said...

I was with the NSG at Linkou from June 1963 to 1964. Does anyone who reads this blog remember the name of the Navy Captain who was U.S. Naval Attache to the ROC around that time? He had attended Chinese language school at Monterey about the same time I did, and I have been trying to recall his name.

Don said...

Zhuxiu:

There's a Linkou NSG website at http://www.linkounavy.com/. You might check with them.

Don

Zhuxiu said...

Don,

Thanks. I have visited that site many times over the years. There is nothing there on the naval attache.

Joe