USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Google Newspaper Archives

John Quinn alerted me to the fact that Google News can find archived newspaper articles on most any subject. Just go to news.google.com and enter whatever subject you're interested in.

For example, if you enter "US Taiwan Defense Command" (in quotes), you'll be told that the search did not identify any documents. However, if you look further down the page, you'll see "Try Google News Archive Search." Click on that and you'll see a chart of all the available articles, shown by year, followed by a listing of links.

The bad news is that many of the available articles are from the New York Times, which charges $3.95 for any article that you want to read. The good news is that there are several other articles that are free.

John found these tidbits:

I found this article from April 30, 1979, describing the departure of RADM Linder and the remaining US military members from Taipei.

I doubt that I'll spring for any of the premium articles, but if I see something especially interesting, I may change my mind.

No comments: