USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Monday, May 5, 2008

Chinese ID

I remember that my wallet was always way too thick when I was at USTDC because I carried all of my American ID stuff, along with a Chinese ID and Chinese drivers license as well. It seems to me that there was at least one other document, but I don't know what it was. Add to that all of the New Taiwan dollar (NT) notes (at a 40 to 1 ratio in those days, vs. 30 to 1 today), and it made for a cumbersome carry.

Sarj bloom sent me a photo of his Chinese drivers license and ID card, which are shown here. I think by the time I arrived at TDC in 1973, my Chinese drivers license was just a single card, not the several pages that make up this one.

1 comment:

Don said...

I just remembered at least one other card. There was a ration card for the Navy Exchange, limiting the amount of certain items (e.g. cigarettes) that one could purchase each month. I think there may have been a separate card for either the commissary or the liquor (Class Six) store, but I'm not sure about those.

What extra cards did the rest of you have when you were there?