USTDC

Photo of USTDC courtesy of Les Duffin

Saturday, August 27, 2011

And Even More Furniture

I've posted numerous photographs of furniture that many of us bought during our time in Taipei.  It's amazing to me that so many of those pieces still grace the homes of so many Taiwan vets after at least 25 or 30 years.

I recently received more furniture photos, this time from Vic Gerlach, who was my replacement at TDC.

He says that he's not sure who made these pieces, but he and his wife used lemon oil on them frequently after their return to the States and still apply it about once a year.

Center Table with Stools

"Compact" Bar

Grandfather Clock

Stereo Cabinet (Custom Design)

Tree Table
The grandfather clock is the APO version that could be broken down into three sections and sent through the mail.

Vic says they also bought marble and brass floor and table lamps, along with carved marble items like vases.  They also have several hand carved wooden objects.

2 comments:

ACarver said...

I have been searching all over the internet to find furniture that looks like the tables that I have. My father was in the Navy and stationed in Taiwan in 1973 or 1974 and had 4 tables made, a coffee table, two end tables, and a large square corner table, that are hand carved with glass laid over the tops. I have never seen anything like them, that is, until now. I've never had much information about them until now, other than Taiwan '73-'74 and that they are made of Teak wood. (One of mine has cracked as well.) Thank you for posting these. Now I know what information to use to go about getting them insured. I can post pics of them if you'd like to see them to compare them to what you have.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know how we can find out what thye are worth now. I have the same round table with the stools!!